Nerve agents are extremely toxic chemicals and the effects of nerve agents occur almost immediately. Nerve agents disrupt the messages that are carried by nerves, so any exposure can cause tightness of the chest, excessive salivation, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, blurred vision, vomiting, convulsions and death. Treatment for these chemicals includes atropine, pralidoximine chloride, and diazepam.
SARIN: also known as GB and is a colorless, odorless liquid that mixes in water. Depending on the dose, effects can occur within a few minutes to an hour.
VX: clear amber-colored, oily liquid, that is odorless. It is very slow to evaporate and is the most toxic nerve agent. Symptoms can occur immediately or up to 18 hours, depending on the exposure.
TABUN: also known as GA and is a colorless to brownish-liquid. It is very heavy and settles close to the ground. Depending on exposure, symptoms can occur immediately or up to 18 hours.
SOMAN: also known as GD and is a colorless, tasteless liquid. It has an odor of camphor or rotting fruit. Released Soman evaporates quickly, but those exposed can still develop symptoms quickly.
Suffocating agents are chemicals that, when inhaled, cause fluid to build up in the lungs, making it difficult to breathe and eventually leading to death. Many of these chemicals are found in common pesticides such as parathion or malathion.
PHOSGENES: These are highly toxic chemicals that cause immediate irritation to the eyes, nose, and skin. Tissue damage can also occur within minutes, and respiratory problems follow shortly afterwards. There is no specific antidote, but decontaminating all exposed areas can help decrease tissue damage.
CYANIDE: colorless liquid or a gas that sometimes gives a â€œbitter almondâ€ odor. Cyanide, in large doses, will produce loss of consciousness within seconds and death may occur within minutes. Treatment depends on rapidly providing oxygen and the use of antidotes (amyl nitrate, sodium thiosulfate, and sodium nitrate).
CHLORINE: greenish-yellow gas with a very strong irritating odor. Immediate symptoms include eye and skin irritation. A large dose of Chlorine will cause lung irritation and can lead to death. There is no antidote, so quick response is important including moving to fresh air, supplying oxygen, or flushing the skin and eyes with large amounts of water. Suffocating agents are chemicals that, when inhaled, cause fluid to build up in the lungs, making it difficult to breathe and eventually leading to death. Many of these chemicals are found in common pesticides such as parathion or malathion.
Blister Agents cause skin burns and blisters, and can damage the eyes, airways, lungs, and other internal organs. Their action on cell components results in inhibition of cell division with a decrease in tissue respiration that eventually leads to cell death.
MUSTARD: This blister agent is colorless and odorless when in its purest form, but brown with a slight â€œmustardâ€ or garlic/onion odor when mixed with other chemicals. Symptoms can develop up to 12 hours, when the skin begins to turn red. Upper respiratory problems may also develop. Over several hours, small blisters appear and then combine to form larger blisters. There is nothing that can reverse the poisonous effects of mustard gas.
LEWSITE: Lewsite in its pure form is colorless and odorless, but gives off a fruity smell when mixed with other chemicals. This blister agent contains arsenic and produces immediate effects, causing burning or pain in the eyes, nose, and skin. Fresh air actually increases the pain. Later severe damage can occur to the skin, eyes, and airways. Treatment includes decontamination, use of the antidote, British Anti-Lewsite, and supportive care.
ANHYDROUS AMMONIA is a common chemical used throughout the United States. It is a source of nitrogen fertilizer for crops, so it is used readily in the agriculture industry. If anhydrous ammonia is handled improperly, or if a tank is damaged, it can be disastrous for whoever is in contact with it. Anhydrous is not only a corrosive liquid, but it can also be a poisonous gas. It is also a colorless, flammable liquid that is very attracted to water. Common symptoms from anhydrous injuries include severe burns to the eyes, skin, and respiratory tract. Long term exposure can be fatal. Large doses of water can help to dilute the chemical. Supportive care can help the respiratory problems that may arise.
Partner with Southwestern District Health Unit to protect our community!
Click here for more information about becoming a PHEVR volunteer.